Tuesday, May 25, 2010

New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of...there's nothin' you can't do

New York.   Hi - I'm Seri.  Gavin's Mom.  Don't mean to barge in here but I asked Gavin if he'd mind if I introduced myself and wrote a blog for him tonight so I could tell you about the Sex and the City (SATC) 2 world premiere that I went to.  Let me give you some background to make this more clear and explain why I'm invading my son's territory here...
Almost 10 years ago I moved to New York...all the way from Toronto, Canada.  When I moved here I planned on staying for a couple of years and then moving home.  I had one friend in this city.  His name is Tim.  We went to The University of Western together.  3 weeks after I got here I called him and asked if he wanted to go out.  He took me out for a fabulous dinner and told me we were going to meet up with his friends after to go out out. I thought, fabulous!  I can meet some people my age in this big, scary city!  One of the boys we were meeting up named Adam came to the restaurant as we were finishing up and sat down next to me and said "do you need a boyfriend"? coyly.  I batted my eyes and chuckled.  6 years later I found myself very settled in New York and married.  Now almost after 10 years, we have a son who is the most incredible human being we've ever laid eyes on.  I've done and seen so much in this incredible city.  What an experience it's been here in New York...concrete jungle where dreams are made of...there's nothing you can't do....oh here in New York....you said it Alicia Key's!  You said it.
Ok so I still haven't told you why I'm chiming in here on my son's blog, right?  Well let me continue on...I have a very good friend named Jenn.  You know her from my trips to Toronto...son Jake...gorgeous kid!  She has a sis who's name is Pam.  Pam lived in LA for many years and a couple years back had moved to NYC.  While here we became close but after a couple years she decided to move back to LA.  When she moved back her 2 best friends Gitty and Swanna moved to NYC.  To make a long story short, I became pretty good friends with these girls who are crazy connected in Hollywood.  I'm sure you remember Gavin telling you about how I went to the Lovely Bones premiere with Marky Mark a few weeks after he was born right?  That was thanks to these gals.  I'm also sure you remember the week before Aruba Gavin told you I was out to dinner with Swanna and she told me she may be able to get me into the SATC 2 premiere and Chris said he'd design me a dress?  Well...the night arrived!  I went to meet my girl Jenny who made this dress come to life and had a fitting at 10am today.  By 4pm...I had the dress and it fit great!  This was it.  I thought this dress would be the hit of a lifetime for me as it turned out so fabulous.  Chris, Jenny, JC - you are all incredible.  Thank you for making me look so fabulous tonight. Chris - you are so insanely talented!
 I threw it on, got the nod from Gavin "you look hot MA!" and ran out the door to Radio City Music Hall, the site of the world premiere SATC 2 movie.  I met up with the girls so we could head over together...as I made my way over I could hear the murmur about my dress on the streets.  Heads were turning, people were talking....Bingo!  This was it...the exact reaction that I wanted!
When I arrived I noticed there was no red carpet.  Disappointing since my dress was kick ass and I was hoping to get shot by the paparazzi.  I made my way in, found my friend Sara Jackson, said hi and went back to my seats.  The stars arrived and then the movie began.  Let me tell you something...I couldn't take it.  The clothes, the laughs, the incredible writing...SATC 2 was AMAZING!!!  I was expecting the worst...because usually sequels suck!  BUT - this movie was better then the first!  I want everything SJP was wearing. EVERYTHING!  Before the movie started I took in the glam.   Radio City Music hall is an iconic building and place that every new yorker dreams of being the headliner in one day.  I had butterflies in my stomach from the second I sat down.  When SJP (Sarah Jessica Parker) arrived in a hot neon yellow dress I thought I was going to faint.  She and the rest of the girls (Kim Catrell, Cynthia Nixon and Kristen Davis) went onto the stage to introduce to the film with Michael Patrick King.  I felt like I was dreaming.  Following the introduction, SJP went and sat a few rows away from me.  When the movie ended she exited to the left where I was standing.  I saw her exit down an empty isle of seats.  Well the isle was empty...so what did I do?  I followed her.  Like a bat out of hell.  Ran down the isle like an absolute lunatic.  I had it all planned out.  If I got in contact with SJP I was going to say "Sarah Jessica, you've inspired me in fashion.  I take risks because of you".  Well what happened you ask?  I ran down the isle in my 4 inch purple Dior heels (compliments of Rachel) and grabbed her arm. A security guard tried to stop me...but somehow I got past him.  "Sarah" I said - she turned to me and said "Hi".  "My name is Seri and I think you're amazing".  "I'll see you later" she said with fear in her eyes.  Stop stocking me you crazy bat, is I'm sure what she was thinking.  I thought this was it.  Life is over.  I am shaking and I cannot breathe.  Gitty and Stef witnessed the whole thing.  If they didn't, I couldn't tell this story because I wouldn't believe it happened.  Off to the after party we go. Before we leave though - don't mind if I snap some shots in front of the poster with SJP and the SATC gals.
 Red carpet - here I am!
So we're in the after party. I feel like I've died and gone to SATC heaven.  Every where I turned there was someone from the movie.  I'll be honest...I'm a star struck kind of gal BUT I hate giving stars the satisfaction of my acknowledging that they are stars.  So I ignore them and call them losers.  For example:
1.)  Dante - from the first SATC movie.  Gitty says - Seri get a pic with him.  Why not I say?  Why not? Well he's a celeb and doesn't care if he gets a pic with you, Gitty explained.  Whatever, just shoot.
2.)  Kim Catrell: Tried to get up to her and chat but she was busy.  I was in there and could have made it happen but I thought...forget it!  So Gitty snapped a shot and got a great pic of her booty...she's lookin good for her age...that's for sure!
3.)  SJP:  So we got into her quarters...she was off to the side and made a wardrobe change into a black ditty.  She looked incredible. I wanted to go up to her so bad...but I also wanted to play it cool...so I just snapped some pics when she was not looking.  Good enough for me considering our chit chat earlier!  At first I tried to get a shot of SJP and here's how it turned out:
That's not her...let's try this again...and Hello Mr. Big!
4.)  Funny...as we were lingering around SJP we bumped into Jennifer Love Hewitt.  Turns out she was dying to get a pic with SJP.  I barged in and said hey - can we snap a shot together?  Love Ghost Whisperer!  Truth is...I've never seen that show and I hate Jennifer Love Hewitt as she tried to once steal my friend's boyfriend away.  True story.  You know who you are!  But we took a pic anyway...and she was a total b*tich!
5.)  Finally we topped off the night with a shot of Stanford Blanch...good old Stanford...why not?!
Swanna: Thank you for getting me into this premiere.  It was truly a dream come true.
Gitty:  Thank you for putting up with me being a lunatic and letting me grab you through out the movie when I thought my head would pop off or my heart would explode from excitement.
Am I normal? Nope.  Never claimed to be.  Sarah Jessica: if I could have only said what I wanted to say - you have inspired me to take risks in life and in fashion and I thank you.  xoxo Seri aka Gavin's Mom.